Sunday, February 27, 2011

Homemade Scalloped Potatoes

Here is a delicious recipe that my Grandma taught me for scalloped potatoes. We LOVE them!

What you'll need:

1 can of Campbell's Cream of Mushroom or Celery soup (I am going to be looking for alternatives)
2 cups of milk
6 large potatoes peeled and washed
3 cups of cheese (we used mozzarella and cheddar)
1 can of Spam (we like to add a little bit of meat, but you can skip this)

Directions:

1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Cut your potatoes about 1cm thick. Spread them around a greased casserole dish.

2. Add milk, soup and spam to your potatoes and mix around. Sprinkle 2 cups of cheese around the entire casserole dish.

3. Cook at 400 degrees for about an hour, stirring twice within that hour to prevent it getting too brown in some places as well as making sure to spread that cheese around.

4. Sprinkle 1 cup of cheese on the top and let cook for another 5 minutes or until cheese is melted.

5. Serve!

 We made enough to serve a family of 4. It was very good and easier to make than I had thought. Plus, so much healthier! If you have an awesome alternative I can use for the Campbell's soup, I would love it if you left a comment letting me know.

Why am I making homemade scalloped potatoes instead of the well known Betty Crocker Scalloped Potatoes? I mean, sure, Betty Crocker makes it real simple to open the box, boil some water, mix it all together, and pop it in the oven, but do you really know what you're eating when you take just one bite? Well, I'm sure you don't if you're still eating it.

Here are some of the ingredients that pop out at me from the box and why they are bad:

Partially Hydrogenated Soybean Oil - Soy has been tossed around like it's the Queen of foods and that it's a miracle worker in the past. Well, some soy, like tempeh, is okay. Doesn't cause issues you might see with other soy products. Soy has been shown to produce, or contribute to excess estrogen levels. Excess estrogen levels then lead to things like breast cancer, thyroid problems, brain damage, food allergies and infertility. Did you also know that 99% of soy is genetically modified? Genetically modified means that it has been chemically altered to grow faster and bigger. It has also been studied that genetically modified foods, such as soy and corn, are linked to many disorders as well. They inject these foods with bacteria and viruses that are not naturally in our food, and these viruses then get transferred to us when we eat them. It sickens me, it truly does.

The words "Partially Hydrogenated" mean that even if this box states there is "No Trans Fat", there is. Anything that is partially hydrogenated will give you a trans fat percentage. It might not mean much if you eat relatively healthy, but if most of the foods you eat throughout are processed and contain a partially hydrogenated oil, your trans fat percentage will start creeping up. There is NO daily value for trans fat, which means you need 0% of it to keep you alive, to nourish your body, whatever. The FDA does not require companies to label that there are amounts of trans fat in food, so companies can lie to us all the want. Trans fat is one of many contributors to people who die of heart disease. You should not consume it AT ALL. End of story.

Monosodium Glutamate - You may not know what this ingredient is by looking at it's name, but ever hear of MSG? Yep, Monosodium Glutamate = MSG. MSG is linked to type 2 diabetes, obesity and brain damage. I am honestly so sickened right now that I do not want to read anymore about MSG and what I've put in my body. Google "MSG" and you will find insane amounts of research as to why you do not want this in your body.

Hydrolyzed Vegetable Protein (Soy and Wheat) - Soy. We've already covered that one above. When you see the word "hydrolyzed" think MSG. We covered that above as well.

Yellow Lakes 5 and 6 and Other Color Added - I talked about the dangers of food dye last week - cancer, brain damage, ADHD, behavioral problems, etc. The list could go on for a mile. If your child is allergic to food colorings, the symptoms could be worse. We medicate like CRAZY for ADHD, when all we have to do is look at the ingredients of the food we're feeding these kids. So, why again has Autism and ADHD been on the rise? FOOD DYES!

Disodium Guanylate - Sound familiar? Sounds JUST like Monosodium Glutamate - Oh, that's right.. because it is! Enough said.

Disodium Inosinate - Wow! MSG pops it's head again! They really like to fool us with these names, huh?

Sodium Bisulfite - Preservative. Yum, got to love those added chemicals to make something that should have a shelf life of 6 months, last 6 years!

Do you really want to put these ingredients into your body ever, ever, EVER again? I would certainly hope not. I am disgusted, appalled and traumatized, really, by what I've known as "food" growing up. I mean, come on! I not only fed this to myself, but I fed this to my Son who is only 2 1/2 years old. I can't imagine his body has tolerated it nearly as well as mine. I can't imagine what I've done to my Sons body, growth, development, etc. by feeding him this garbage. I will NEVER EVER EVER EVER buy this EVER again. End of story.

Thanks to the following sites for research and information:


Nikas-Culinaria
Natural Health Restored
Dr. Mercola

No comments:

Post a Comment